Earlier this year, I decided that I wanted to host a live challenge inside my Simplified Entrepreneur community.
Then that goal sat on my goal list without much movement – for a few months, in fact.
That’s because my goal to "host a challenge" didn’t feel specific or clear or, if I’m being honest, even urgent. I knew what I wanted to create but hadn’t identified how I would get there. So I didn’t know where to start, and I certainly didn’t know what to tackle next.
When I sat myself down and made an action plan, everything changed. Once I broke my goal down into specific steps, I was able to take immediate action and launch my challenge in about a week and a half.
This is why it’s so important to break down your big goals into specific to dos. Not only will it provide you with a clear path to reach them, it will also help accelerate your progress.
Though there are multiple ways to break down your goals, here’s how I approach it:
- I identify my big picture goal.
- I do a brain dump where I write down every single thing that I think I would need to do in order to reach that goal.
- I transfer the list of tasks into Trello (you could use any project management tool here), then prioritize those tasks by order of importance.
- I assign the tasks to myself or a member of my small team.
- I start doing the work, one item at a time until it’s complete, and keep going until the list is done.
And that’s it.
I’m guessing this approach to breaking down your goals is far less complicated than you thought it would be - and hopeful that it feels doable enough that you'll actually try it. Because when you do, you'll see that getting specific with your goals makes all the difference in helping you reach your destination.
So tell me, what goal are you going to create an action plan for this month? Comment below and let me know.